As an aged care provider, we are very focussed on the holistic nature of the care experience. When support for residents, families and visitors are in place and cohesive, our resident is cared for with all the professionalism available in our one space. It is unequivocal that the since the Clown Doctors joined our working environment they have provided a missing piece in our delivery practices. They are the glue that binds all our holistic support elements together!
To elaborate on the aspects of their practice that we find most valuable. The Clown Doctors:
- Provide us with another set of eyes about the state of wellbeing of our individual residents, particularly for residents who are experiencing dramatic changes in life circumstances such as losing independence, difficult illnesses or tragedy
- Provide stimulating situations consistent with an individuals’ long-term memory.
- Increase an individuals’ sense of wellbeing by connecting with the resident on a personal level. Relationships are built.
- Utilise stimulus strategies to develop and strengthen mobility.
- Provide staff with knowledge and options for creating stimulating environments in support of our holistic goals.
In 2020, 61 new residents were introduced to the Clown Doctor and their unique form of support. Due to the commitment to weekly engagement from the Clown Doctors, and in any given year, engagement translates to more than 6500 individual personalised contacts with residents. Consequently, the positive impact over time remains very high.
In conclusion, support to achieve outstanding outcomes for our residents does not occur in isolation. Thanks go specifically to Manchester Unity Welfare Trust Board for their ongoing and significant commitment to the provision of this service. Together MUWTB and WINDSORCARE are achieving meaningful and lasting resident well-being.